A caveat…

One common learning theme in our K-12 team this year was to support teachers in their pursuit of helping students make their learning and thinking visible. As Sue Bruyns shares in her post ‘I Told Two Friends and so on…” a blog, or twitter post offers educators a chance to make our learning visible and an opportunity for learning from one another.

Writing online for the first time, and thus making my thinking truly visible, was frightening.

And I’ve paused since then. Admittedly, my mind has been running full speed with ideas for other posts. As I read through Sue’s month of posts (usually during my breakfast- her early morning timing was impeccable for many of us to enjoy the reading at this time), I would find myself making connections later in the day and mentally composing another post myself.mindset

The fear that goes with sharing, I think partly stems from knowing that I am always learning, and perhaps (hopefully!) my ideas and opinions that I write about today will change as I learn more. It is a little unnerving to have fluid thoughts forever frozen. Which leads into a second learning theme this year: to support teachers and students in developing a growth mindset.

I don’t want to be judged on my previously held beliefs if I’ve learned since then. This year, for me, has been a stimulating learning  journey  high-speed train where I have gained so much from the perspective of others- especially when my knowledge or beliefs were challenged.

learn anything  By sharing our thoughts visibly, we are welcoming discussion, debate,    collaboration, and perhaps criticism. All are  opportunities for further learning.

With that, I’d like to share my official caveat to all future posts: My posts are  my  current thoughts and ideas, but I am always excited to be challenged, learn  more, and perhaps change my mind. As long as this is clear, I feel much more  free to share my learning.

When I read the blog of others, I consider this as well- these are their thoughts  today, based on the knowledge and experience they have had …so far.

3 thoughts on “A caveat…

1. Erin, I couldn’t agree with you more! Learning is the furthest thing from static and a true learner is always open to thoughts and ideas which may slightly or radically change their perspective. By sharing our thinking in such a public place, we do open ourselves up to feedback from others. Some may agree with us, which leads to validation and some may disagree with us which forces us to either modify our thinking or articulate more strongly our original idea.
    Regardless of the reaction, our learning can’t help but change and evolve. Learners love those speeding trains!

2. Thanks for your openess in sharing. I am contemplating embarking on blogging in my new role next year. I am inspired by so many, by am struggling with the courage to follow though. Over the summer I plan to get things started so that when the falls roles around it will not feel so scary. Thanks for being a role model for the process!
    Sarah

3. Good heavens! Did Sue really respond at 3 a.m. in the morning or is your blog set on another time zone? LOL …. but regardless …. Erin … I doubt you’ll ever have to worry about writing anything that will be frozen in time. We were commenting on that the other day with a group of admins – Fullan in his earlier books rarely mentions technology and yet in this latest one (or I think it’s the latest one) it’s like he’s finally come into the 21Century and does have a good number of things to say about that part of learning. Does that make his earlier writings null ‘n void? Generally not!

The thing you will find as you continue to write (and I’m sure you noticed this from Sue’s writing, or Seth or even the Lit Blog the LC’s are writing together, that there are universal themes that really are timeless in their scope and direction. Because of your role in Environmental education I suspect your writing will take on that bent – and what better universal themes can you find for our time in that category? But if you eventually go back to the classroom or move up the ladder to admin roles, your focus will change. I remember quite well when Sue was at Jury and her blogs focused on that school community. It was so focussed there that when she ended up at the Board Office I remember reading one of her blogs explaining how difficult it was to find new reasons to writing for this new audience – and at that time she wasn’t sure that audience she even had anymore. Well, aren’t we glad now she persisted – how many bloggers and incidental writers her writing has produced probably at this point couldn’t be counted. But it will be her legacy I’m sure in whatever role she takes and I’m sure, will be yours as you begin down this pathway!

I’ll be following and commenting as I can. I enjoyed our visit the day you came to Antler River First Nation school. Your scope of influence stretches far beyond the classroom you use to inhabit and now your writing will do the same thing for us, for your students and anyone who happens by and is challenged by your writing. Make sure you publish each blog on your Twitter feed so we know when a new one has been written. And don’t feel it’s arrogant of you to publish your own posts that way. We’ve asked for it and you are simply listening to your clients. LOL ….

Write on! There are many windmills to joust and many an issues to unearth!

ck ..